Sunday, September 2, 2012

Consistency


This past week I was talking with a friend about consistency.

We had been talking for quite some time about changes we both needed to make in our lives. Sometimes, these changes needed to be made in similar areas. This friend is someone that I am able to be very honest and frank with – especially with areas that I have concerns about. I expressed my feelings on a very important matter and then said to him, “consistency is the name of the game.” This friend agreed. I was asked to share my suggestions and I did. Well, in worship service today, the title of the pastor’s sermon was consistency.

Here’s what I learned today:

Consistency is defined as the catalyst of success. It is the constant adhering to the same principles. It is firmness. Consistency requires discipline. It is often the discipline factor that hinders us from being consistent in every area of our lives. Consistency causes the people in our lives to develop a certain sense of security in the things we do. Why? Our behavior remains the same. Often with this, as the pastor said today, we are taken for granted. He went on to say something very interesting, that we should see our being taken for granted as a compliment rather than an offense. I thought on this for a moment but then realized the truth in this statement. Well, what about the opposite of being consistent; inconsistent.

Inconsistency hinders your growth. It can develop into a pattern where you never achieve and get to the place where God wants you to be. Whereas consistency requires discipline, inconsistency does not. Inconsistency doesn’t care about the goals you have set for your life. Because quite frankly; being inconsistent ensures that you will never get there.

In my quiet time, I am often reflecting on my life and my vision for my life. What I have realized is that I am very good with leaving tips from “Tamika’s Toolkit.” I want to be known as a resource that helps to empower and educate others. Here are tips from Tamika’s Toolkit on being more consistent.  
1.      An excellent spirit will get you preferential treatment. Inconsistency in your life, will keep you from developing an excellent spirit.

2.      Being consistent will allow you to remain true to yourself even in conflict.

3.      Your consistent behavior helps others to develop a sense of security that envelopes them. These people know that you will always remain true, because you always have.

Oh, did I mention consistency is the name of the game?.
 
Tamika

No comments:

Post a Comment