Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Lesson from Jameer

                      
One of the greatest joys of my life has been the birth of my youngest nephew Jameer. The past 23 months have been nothing short of amazing. This is not to say that I do not love all of my nieces and nephews, because nothing would be farther from the truth. It is different because he lives with me. As an aunt, my heart is filled to capacity with love. However, the pure love that radiates from him every day makes my heart feel as if it is going to explode.  

From the moment, I knew that my sister was having a little boy; I fell in love with this little guy. Each day since he has come home from the hospital, I have had the pleasure of watching him learn, grow, develop and explore life – through his eyes.

At about 18 months of age, Jameer started to do this quirky little thing of clapping his hands. For example, when he first understood the word “kiss” he would give me or his mom a kiss and he would say, “Yay,” and clap his hands. When he first learned to toss a ball back and forth, again; “Yay,” and clap his hands. His newest challenge is learning how to count. Thus far, he says, “one, two, three, four, five … nine.” And you know what he did? Yes, you guessed it, “Yay,” and clapped his hands.

Here is what you and I can learn from Jameer. Regardless of the size of the accomplishment, celebrate your achievement of it. Too often, we make light of the goals we have been able to reach or milestones we have surpassed and we minimize. But, everyday, no matter how small the fete, Jameer says, “Yay,” and claps his hands and he does it with the biggest smile on his face.

So, take a lesson from Jameer and celebrate life’s little accomplishments. I am not saying that you have to jump up and down as a toddler would, but no one would penalize you for doing so. What I can say is that the more you do it, the less awkward it will become. At the end of the day, you are a much better, stronger, healthier and happier you.

Stay blessed and empowered on your journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment